Adding Print to Your Marketing Mix
Marketing is an integral part of any business, and with the rise of digital marketing, it’s easy to forget about traditional marketing methods such as print. However, print marketing can still be an effective way to reach potential customers, especially those who may not be as connected to digital media (or even those too connected to it). In this post, we’ll discuss how to add print marketing to your advertising mix and make it work for your business.
Understand the Benefits of Print Marketing
Before you dive into adding print to your advertising mix, it’s important to understand the benefits it can offer your business. While digital marketing is undoubtedly popular, print marketing still holds a significant amount of value in today’s marketing world. Here are a few of the advantages of print marketing:
- Tangibility: Printed materials such as brochures, flyers, and direct mail can be held, touched, and physically interacted with. This physical interaction can create a stronger emotional connection with the material and the message it’s conveying. In fact, this paper states that recall of information is better when more senses are used!
- Credibility: Print materials have a level of credibility and legitimacy that digital ads may not always have. People tend to trust printed materials more because they’re not as easily manipulated as digital content.
- Targeting: Print marketing allows for targeted marketing efforts. You can distribute materials to specific areas or demographics, using variable data to ensure that the right message reaches the right people.
- Longevity: Printed materials can have a longer lifespan than digital materials. Flyers, brochures, and even business cards can be held onto and referred to for weeks, months, or even years after they’re distributed.
With these benefits in mind, let’s explore how to incorporate print marketing into your advertising mix.
Define Your Print Marketing Goals
As with any marketing effort, it’s essential to define your goals before jumping in. What are you hoping to achieve with your print marketing efforts? Here are a few possible goals:
- Increase brand awareness: Use print marketing to get your brand name in front of potential customers who may not have heard of you before.
- Drive sales: Use printed coupons, offers, or discounts to incentivize purchases.
- Build customer loyalty: Use printed materials to create a personal connection with your existing customers, such as a thank-you note or a special offer.
- Generate leads: Use print materials to collect contact information from potential customers, such as through a sign-up form or direct mail campaign.
Once you’ve defined your goals, you can start thinking about the types of print materials you’ll need to achieve them.
Choose the Right Print Marketing Materials
There are several types of print marketing materials you can use to reach your goals. Here are a few options:
Business cards are a classic print marketing material that can help you network and create a professional impression. Make sure your business cards are well-designed and accurately represent your brand.
Brochures are a versatile print marketing tool that can be used to promote products or services, provide information about your business, or highlight your company’s unique value proposition. They can be single-page or multi-page, and should be visually appealing and easy to read.
Flyers are another popular print marketing tool that can be used to promote events, sales, or new products or services. They’re typically single-page, and should be eye-catching and informative.
Direct mail campaigns involve sending physical mail to a targeted group of potential customers. Direct mail can take the form of postcards, letters, or flyers, and can be highly effective at reaching specific demographics or geographic areas.
Magazine and Newspaper Ads
Magazine and newspaper ads are a form of print advertising that can be used to reach a wide audience. They’re typically more expensive than other print marketing materials, but can be effective for businesses with a larger advertising budget. Make sure your ad is visually appealing and contains a clear call-to-action.
Vehicle Wraps and Magnets
Another creative way to use print marketing is by placing ads on the company vehicles you drive around town every day. This can be a great way to reach a broad audience in a particular geographic area.
Once you’ve decided on the type of print marketing material you want to use, it’s time to start designing.
Design Your Print Materials
Your print materials should be visually appealing, informative, and accurately represent your brand. If you’re not confident in your design skills, consider hiring one of our expert graphic designers.
When designing your print materials, keep the following tips in mind:
- Keep it simple: Avoid cluttered designs and excessive text. Stick to the most important information and make sure it’s easy to read.
- Use high-quality images: Use high-quality images that are relevant to your message and are visually appealing. And remember, images that need to be sized up can sometimes appear blurry!
- Choose the right fonts: Use fonts that are easy to read and appropriate for your brand’s style. A good rule of thumb is to use no more than two fonts.
- Use color wisely: Use colors that are consistent with your brand’s style and are visually appealing. Don’t overuse colors or use colors that clash.
Distribute Your Print Materials
Once you’ve designed your print materials, it’s time to distribute them. Here are a few ways to distribute your print materials:
Hand them out in person
One of the most effective ways to distribute print materials is by handing them out in person. This can be done at events, trade shows, or on the street. Make sure you’re targeting the right audience and that your approach is friendly and non-intrusive.
Leave them in public places
Leaving your print materials in public places such as cafes, libraries, or community centers can be an effective way to reach a broad audience. Make sure you get permission from the owner of the space before leaving any materials.
Send them through direct mail
Direct mail campaigns can be highly targeted and effective at reaching specific demographics or geographic areas. Make sure you’re following the appropriate regulations and guidelines when sending direct mail.
Advertise in print media
Advertising in print media such as magazines or newspapers can be an effective way to reach a wide audience. Make sure you’re choosing the right publications and that your ad is visually appealing and contains a clear call-to-action.
Measure Your Results
As with any marketing effort, it’s essential to measure the results of your print marketing campaign. Here are a few metrics to track:
- Response rate: How many people responded to your print materials? This can include website visits, phone calls, or visits to your physical location.
- Conversion rate: Of those who responded to your print materials, how many converted into customers? This can be tracked through sales data or by asking customers how they found out about your business.
- ROI: How much did you spend on your print marketing campaign, and what was the return on investment? This can be calculated by dividing the revenue generated by the campaign by the cost of the campaign.
Use the data you collect to refine your print marketing efforts and make the next ones more effective.
Adding print marketing to your advertising mix can be an effective way to reach potential customers and achieve your marketing goals. By understanding the benefits of print marketing, defining your goals, choosing the right print materials, designing them effectively, and distributing them strategically, you can create a successful print marketing campaign for your business. Remember to measure your results and make adjustments as needed to ensure your print marketing efforts are as effective as possible.